Thursday, April 21, 2011

Fantabulous Food! Megan's Excellent Grilled Cheese

I LOVE to cook and bake, so periodically there will be posts called Fantabulous Food to share recipes to entice you :) I figured I would start these off with my favorite lunch:

Megan's #1 Grilled Cheese
My husband is a huge fan of grilled cheese, so whenever we can't decide what to eat, usually that's what he suggests. As you can imagine, after having grilled cheese so many times, one begins to wish for something a bit different; thus, I toyed around with the traditional 2-pieces-of-buttered-bread-with-a-slice-of-cheese and came up with what is now my favorite thing to have for lunch (or anytime I don't feel like cooking dinner).
Ingredients:
2 Slices Pepperidge Farm Farmhouse Soft Sourdough Bread
Light Miracle Whip
1 Wedge of Laughing Cow Light French Onion Cheese
1 Slice of Turkey
1 or 2 Slices of American Cheese Singles

Obviously, this is just my A-Team of ingredients, but you could make this sandwich with different bread or with no meat, or sometimes I add a slice of ham... it doesn't really matter. The most important part of the recipe is the French Onion Cheese and the Miracle Whip.

1. Spread desired amount of Miracle Whip on one slice of bread.

2. Spread a little over half of the French Onion Cheese Wedge on the other slice of bread.

3. Evenly distribute cheese slice around one piece of bread. I like to tear the cheese and fill in the slice of bread to make sure I get a good amount of cheese in each bite. Place slice of turkey on the other piece of bread. Put bread together so cheese and meat are touching (this may seem ridiculous, but you never know who may be reading).
 4. Warm a pan on the stove on med-low and spray with olive oil (I prefer to use that instead of butter to cut down the calories, and it really is good). I use a Mister Misto Sprayer. It's a very useful item :)
 5. Put your sandwich in the pan on the side with the cheese. This way, the cheese gets nice and melted. Cook until cheese is melted and bread is slightly browned. Turn over and brown the other side of the bread.

6. Serve and enjoy :) I like to get a few tortilla chips to use up my remaining French Onion Cheese.
...mmMMMmmm... Look at that melty goodness :) So, there you go. A nice simple recipe to try out that you will not regret. Personally my favorite method is on a panini press, but I showed it on the stove since most folks probably don't have one of those lying around - thank you wedding gifts :)

Hopefully this isn't too ridiculous that I would put up a recipe for grilled cheese. I promise there will be much more impressive ones to come later, so just enjoy this in the meantime.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining in the conversation!