Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day

So, as you hopefully know, today was Mother's Day :) I hope all you mothers out there had a nice, relaxing day. As far as my Mother's Day, I have a little recap for you.

Since I had already made the fondant for the Jack Daniel's cake this weekend, I decided I could make a little Mother's Day cake for my mom :)
I carved the cake out and even carved out grooves in between the petals.
And check out the cute little bee :)
My mom liked it.
And she also liked her Butterfingers :) and her voucher for Family Fun Magazine.
I think she likes her cake :)

After we had dinner and whatnot at my parent's house, we went to visit my mom's mom, my Grammy. Grammy passed away last November, so this Mother's Day has been a little tough, especially for my mom. I miss Grammy enough as it is, I can't imagine how hard it is for my mom. So, we visited her grave and took her flowers, some from my mom and some were sent from my Uncle - he would always send her a bouquet for Mother's Day so he asked my mom to take it to her.
We left her flowers for her so she could enjoy them :)
After the cemetery, we went to visit my dad's mom, my Grandmother. She has her own set of mess this year. She had surgery on her stomach back in March and the doctor said she should be good as new in 2 weeks. Well, that was the last week in March and things have been so difficult for her that they ended up having to redo the surgery to encourage the site to heal properly. That was Thursday 1 week ago. Last Sunday morning, 3 days after the new surgery, she fell and broke her femur a few inches above her knee. She then had to have another surgery to have 2 metal rods put into her leg. She had to go from the hospital to a nursing home, where we visited her today. After her recovery in the home, she will then have to use a wheel chair for 5 months. Not a fun way to spend your Mother's Day, or any day for that matter, but we all wanted to visit her to boost her spirits. Luckily, all of my cousins had the same idea, and she was visited by all 9 of her Grandchildren and their spouses and children which she really enjoyed.

I had also made a flower cake for Grandmother which she said tasted great :)
My Aunt Gwen decided to give Grandmother a happy toe while she was asleep earlier in the day :)
So, we hung out with Grandmother for a while. It was great to see her happier. She has been so down trodden since her surgery that we were all getting worried about her. She has always been an active lady even if it's just going to work, which she still does every day, so she was so depressed being bedridden and in pain constantly. Hopefully we can keep her spirits higher while she recovers and bring the fun to her.

I hope everyone out there had a wonderful Mother's Day. As you can see, ours was a bit different than normal, but the theme was still the same - love for Mom. I love my mom so much and I can't tell you how lucky I feel to have her in my life. I hope she knows how much I appreciate her everyday :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining in the conversation!