Thursday, June 30, 2011

Fantabulous Food! Exquisite Pizza Sauce

I figured I would go ahead and give you the pizza sauce recipe so you can make that ahead too :) I encourage you adding and subtracting things from this recipe, I have changed it quite a bit myself each time I make it, but it always comes out great if you start with a good base.

Exquisite Pizza Sauce:
Ingredients:
1 (6oz) can tomato paste
6 oz water
3 tbsp grated parmasean cheese
1 tsp minced garlic
2 tbsp honey <--I use about half of that
1 tsp anchovy paste (optional)
3/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp margoram
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp basil
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
salt to taste
*balsamic vinegar 


1. Empty can of tomato paste into a small bowl.
2. Using tomato paste can, add 6oz of warm water.
2. Add parmasean cheese, garlic, honey, anchovy paste (if you want to), onion powder, marjoram, oregano, basil, black pepper, cayenne pepper and red pepper flakes. Mix well and break up any clumps of cheese.
3. Taste sauce. Add balsamic vinegar if desired. This is just something I do. I'm obsessed with balsamic vinegar and I think the sauce is a bit too sweet without it, so add as much or as little as you want. The vinegar will also cut down on how much salt you need as it gives a salty flavor naturally.
4. Taste sauce. Add salt as needed. I like to use garlic salt, but regular salt is fine too.
5. Mix everything well. Cover sauce and let sit at least 30 minutes to let flavors combine. You can make this up to a week before you need to use it, just keep it covered and in the refrigerator.


*If you like the taste of this sauce and use it a lot, you can multiply the dry ingredients by 8 and combine them all in a sealed jar to put with the rest of your spices. When you want to make the sauce, just add 2 teaspoons of the spice mix to the wet ingredients and let it sit :)

This sauce is great for the deep dish recipe or for any traditional flat pizza :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining in the conversation!