Thursday, July 21, 2011

Fantabulous Food! Chess Pie

This is a family recipe with a serious cult following. I have made this pie for many people, some who worked in high end restaurants as chefs and even they have said this was the best chess pie they had ever tasted :) For those of you who don't know what chess pie is, imagine the gooey inside of a pecan pie without the pecans on top :) It's similar to that. Yumm...

Chess Pie:
  • 3 whole eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 tsp corn meal
  • 1 tsp vinegar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 stick margarine, melted - Absolutely must be margarine!
  • pie crust 
1. Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl.
Stir until well combined. If you can still see some of the egg separating, just keep stirring until it's all smooth and sticks together.
2. Pour filling into crust. You can use store bought - I recommend the Mrs. Fields brand - or you can make your own Easy Pie Crust.
3. Bake at 350° F for 30 minutes or until center still jiggles but is mostly set.
This pie has a really cool chemical reaction in the oven. It begins as a straight liquid.
As it bakes, it begins to form bubbles.
Then the bubbles cause it to rise up a bit.
Then the risen top will make a golden brown crust.
I ended up having to bake my pie at 350° F for about 40 minutes, so just jiggle it a little after 30 minutes to check it.
4. Allow your pie to cool before you serve it, but it can still be slightly warm.
MMmmmm... seriously, this is my favorite pie. It's absolutely delicious and ridiculously easy to make - you should give it a try.

I even made this pie for my sister Marisa for her birthday. She had been begging me to make her one for months.
I think she liked it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining in the conversation!