Thursday, November 17, 2011

Fantabulous Food! Almond Poppy Seed Bread

This is one from the Our Best Bites cookbook Justin got me for my last birthday :) It just sounded so quick and delicious I had to give it a try!

Almond Poppy Seed Bread:

  • 3 cups flour
  • 2 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 1 1/3 cups vegetable oil
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 tsp almond extract
  • 1 1/2 tbsp poppyseeds
1. Combine flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder in mixer and whisk together until well mixed.
2. Add in milk, vegetable oil, eggs, extracts, and poppy seeds. Beat for 1 minute.
3. Preheat oven to 350º F. Spray 2, 9-inch loaf pans with baking spray. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes until a skewer poked in the center comes out clean.

Glaze:

  • 3/4 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/4 cup orange juice
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp almond extract

4. While bread is baking, whisk glaze ingredients together.
5. When bread is done, remove it from the oven and brush the glaze on the hot bread. Then allow to cool.
This bread is seriously tasty. My husband and I had it for dessert and it did not disappoint! **Don't make the mistake I did - I only put in 1 1/2 teaspoons of poppy seeds when it should be tablespoons. It still tasted great, but if you want more of the poppy seed taste, don't omit the extras!
This would be a great bread to make for the neighbors as a holiday treat :) Think mini loaves. I can hear my 92 year old neighbor lady complimenting it now :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining in the conversation!