Thursday, January 12, 2012

Fantabulous Food! New York Times Best Ever Chocolate Chip Cookies

I'm back! I can't believe it's really been so long since I posted a recipe. It was a crazy month and I'm very sorry to have neglected my blog so much. Thankfully, things are a little closer to normal now and the Fantabulous Food posts will be more regular :) I promise.

Last night, my husband asked me (without asking me) if I could make some chocolate chip cookies. I searched through my cookbooks and noticed that I really didn't have a good recipe at all. The only ones I have ever really made were with the recipe on the Nestle Tollhouse bag. Not that the Tollhouse recipe isn't good, but I was in the mood for something different, so I searched Pinterest. I luckily had pinned this recipe that the New York Times claims is the best Chocolate Chip cookies recipe. Naturally I had to see for myself.

The New York Times Best Chocolate Chip Cookies:
  • 2 cups minus 2 tbsp of cake flour
  • 1 2/3 cups bread flour - I just used 3 2/3 cups minus 2 tbsp of all purpose flour
  • 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp coarse salt
  • 2 1/2 sticks (1 1/4 cups) unsalted butter
  • 1 cup plus 2 tbsp sugar
  • 1 1/4 cups light brown sugar, packed
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 1/4 lbs chocolate chips - I used half milk chocolate and half semi sweet chocolate
1. Sift flours, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl and set aside.
2. Using a mixer with a paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. I scraped down the bowl a few times during the mixing.
3. Add eggs and beat well. Add vanilla and beat well.
4. Reduce mixer speed to low and slowly add flour. Mix just until combined - don't over mix.
5. Weigh out your chocolate chips. You need 20 oz of whatever kind you choose.
Then fold chocolate chips in until they are evenly distributed.
6. Preheat oven to 350º F. Place balls of cookie dough on a baking sheet with about 1 inch between for small cookies or 2 inches between for large ones. I used a 4 tbsp cookie scoop and they seemed very big at first, but I was very happy with the size after they were cooked. This also helped them to still stay a little gooey in the center, so they were soft still the next day.
For small (regular) sized cookies, cook for 10 to 12 minutes. For the larger sized cookies that I made, bake for about 16 minutes or until the edges are just a little brown.
Et Voilá :) The perfect chocolate chip cookie! Let them cool on a rack for about 5 minutes before trying to eat them. These seriously lived up to their name - they are easily the best chocolate chips cookies I have ever had. My husband definitely agreed, I kept catching him like this in the kitchen:
Next time he has a craving, I will be ready :) Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining in the conversation!