Thursday, June 7, 2012

Today's Thrift Store Finds

I haven't talked about it in detail before, but I am a huge fan of thrifting :) Thrift stores are like treasure chests to me that you have to search through and find the sweet deals within. I like to go out on my day off to some of my favorite local shops, and today I managed to hit 4 of them :) Here are some of the things I scored:
I grabbed these at the Salvation Army :) Some former quilter passed these along and I made sure to snatch them up. Some of the books will become gifts for a certain quilting relative I have if I don't end up using them.

  • 505 Quilt Blocks by Better Homes and Gardens
  • Patchwork Quilts Made Easy by Jean Wells
  • Block Magic, Too! by Nancy-Johnson-Srebro
  • Creative Camera Techniques Cards Set 7 and 8 by Yale Joel
  • Yellow Enamel Oval Metal Earrings

This set was from a private-owned shop called Thrift and More :) I've gotten quite a few neat items for super cheap there. These were no exception.

  • In Fashions Knit and Crochet Booklet by American Thread from the early 70s
  • 6 pieces of plastic sheeting (I plan to make this purse sometime)

These came from The North Brevard Charities shop :) Aren't they cute!

I also got a stack of clothes from a few different shops, mainly the Mission Thrift Store. I love looking through clothes there because everything is $1! Can't go wrong :)
 This skirt was $1 :) It's a newer piece and is in like new condition. I like the colors and the pleats - it's like it have just the right amount of old-lady-ness for me to like it :)
 This is the only one that I am honestly disappointed didn't fit me. It's a weird polyester material, but it's just so vibrant and cool - I would say it's from the mid 70s. Even though it said it was my size, after trying it on it was just too tight in the chest (my boobs were actually too big for something - a miracle in and of itself). Oh well, I will just have to pass this one onto someone else in my Etsy store.
 It may not look so great since it's all wrinkly, but this is a 100% brand new, tags on  St Johns Bay button down. St Johns Bay is a JC Penney brand, so to grab it for $1 was a steal. And it's navy :)
 This is a men's shirt that I plan on taking apart to make something else with it - maybe I'll just take it in and make it a more feminine cut. Mostly I love the fabric - I did a zoomed in view with better color so you can see what I mean.
This one is probably my favorite item of the day - it's an actual 70s sailor top! It's made out of some icky polyester, but I am willing to overlook that for this sweet collar. It is an actual collar too - it flaps up. I will be wearing this baby for sure :)

So, that is just what I found today. Hopefully it will give you a little encouragement to try thrift stores out for yourself if you haven't already. I came across lots of other great finds that I just didn't need, many items were still new in their original boxes. If you don't already go thrifting - you really should see what all the fun is about :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining in the conversation!