Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Circles of Service: Crocheted Scarf #1 Complete

I honestly wasn't sure I would have time to participate in the crocheted scarf project for the Circles of Service, but when my Aunt showed me how much she had accomplished in just a couple of days I realized that these scarves would slap out really quickly. So on Saturday night I went to Walmart and bought 3 different types of yarn specifically for these scarves. I got 3 skeins of Lion Brand Hometown USA (super chunky weight) in Lake Tahoe Blue, 2 skeins of Red Heart With Love (worsted weight) in Waterlily, and 1 skein of Red Heart With Love in Boysenberry. I spent about $18 for all of this and I know I will be able to make at least 4 scarves from it - not a bad donation :)

Saturday night I started hunting on Ravelry for free crochet scarf patterns that had a little pizzazz to them. I find that if a project doesn't have some kind of new technique or something involved I lose interest in it quickly. I didn't want anything super complicated, just a little added something. So I started the Butterfly Scarf in the Waterlily variegated yarn. It's just a simple double crochet stitch the whole way but you make cute butterflies at the ends :)

I worked for about 20 minutes Saturday night and then about an hour or so throughout the day on Sunday. Sunday night I started to think it strange that the purple color would go from being in a V shaped line to suddenly all over the place, so I looked a little harder. The scarf got skinnier at the end - I had dropped 2 stitches in 2 different places as I was going and I didn't even notice. The scarf was around 50 inches when I pulled it out to just 20 inches. It was so sad to pull out but it was driving me crazy.
See how it goes from a very uniform V to all over the place? Honestly I like the look of the purple being evenly distributed all over better, but it only worked that way because of those dropped stitches. Monday I got a nasty stomach bug (I still kind of have it today) and I pretty much just wanted to sit still all day. This was perfect for getting some crocheting done :) I finished the scarf last night!
I made it just shy of 70 inches long (that's the longest length for the abuse shelter scarf project) and it's 5 inches wide.
I actually really like that the variegated yarn made the purple color create diamond shapes in the fabric - it really makes the purple stand out like a special feature. 
See my butterflies? The one on the right is the one that I did last and I think it came out much better than the first one. The first one is kind of always scrunched up and it's hard to see what it's supposed to be. Oh well. Hopefully the recipient gets the idea :)

So, there's one down and 4 to go to hit my quota :) I'm planning what pattern to do for my next one. I'm glad I was able to finish is so quickly so I know I'll be able to do them all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining in the conversation!