Friday, October 12, 2012

Crochet Update: Finished Hat for My Nephew's Halloween Costume!

I've had this one finished for a while now, but I wanted to wait to post it until after I gave it to my sister at her baby shower :) My family is mildly obsessed with Despicable Me, mostly the minions. They are just so cute! I even themed Kelly's baby shower with minions. So, when I saw the patterns floating around pinterest and ravelry, I knew exactly what to make my new nephew for his first ever Halloween!
It's a minion hat! I'm going to snag him a yellow t-shirt or onesie and some jean overalls to wear with it. How cute is that?!

I made this just using the baby hat pattern that my friend Leigh came up with and it's newborn size. I just increased out as far as I needed, did 1 row of yellow, then 2 rows of black, and then the rest yellow. I sort of read a few patterns for the eye and then just made my own. With black - I started with a magic circle and 6 sc into it, slip stitch the round together, ch 1, 2 sc into each stitch, slip stitch. Then I added the white and did 2 sc into first st, 1 sc into second st, and repeated all the way around for 2 rows. Then switch to black again, 2 sc into first st, 1 sc into second and third st, repeat, sl st, next row 2 sc into first, 1 sc into second - fourth, sl st end. If you crochet, that should make sense. I added the ear flaps and the braided straps. I figure even if it's a little too big for him, we can just tie it on with the straps. I also gave him 2 hairs :)

I can't wait to see it on him!

2 comments:

Thanks for joining in the conversation!