Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Circles of Service: Scarf #5 Finished

Well, I have officially completed my 5 scarves for the Circles of Service at church :) This was my final one to complete and it's been sitting 75% in my bag since the end of October. You can't rush these things, you know...
Here it is being modeled by the lovely Kelly :) This pattern is the Basketweave Crochet Neckwarmer which is a free pattern on Ravelry. I (obviously) modified it and made it longer to be a scarf instead of a cowl.
It's a really neat stitch - it's a basket weave texture which is seriously one of my favorites. Here comes the reason it sat so long though: I hate my yarn choice for this pattern! I love the basket weave and I love the colors of this yarn but combined together the color is too distracting and you can't see the texture. I guess i'm just a solid color yarn person. Thus, it sat 75% finished for months because I just didn't love it and would rather spend my time on something I actually liked. The scarves are being presented to the charity this week though, so I finally buckled down on Sunday and finished it up while watching the new season of Downton Abbey.

I made this scarf 72" long and it took 2 complete skeins of the yarn. Granted the variegated yarns come in a shorter skein, but this sucker has some serious heft to it from all that yarn. It's a very dense stitch so it would be great for really keeping you warm.

I'll have to make myself one from a better yarn later on - I love the pattern and it's really simple. Too bad I'm not completely in love with the result. I hope the recipient enjoys it though :)

1 comment:

  1. That yarn is so beautiful, and the scarf is stunning! Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining in the conversation!