Friday, January 18, 2013

Crochet-Update: Meet the Slugingtons!

Well, I've finished my submission to the Slug-a-Long on FreshStitches :) I'd like you to meet The Slugingtons!
I decided that since these were such a quick project, I really needed to up the ante for the crochet along this time. These were made using the Hannah the Slug pattern (I bought it with the Cutie Crawlies ebook) and to make them bigger or smaller I just used different sized yarn and hooks. I designed this project to have the children made with 'traits' from the parents. It's like a crocheted Punnet square :)
 The dad came first. For Mr. Herman Sluggington, I used Caron Simply Soft yarn in Blue Mint and combined it with Aunt Lydia's Bamboo size 3 crochet thread in Marine Blue. I literally took 2 yarns and wrapped them around my finger and crocheted using them as 1 yarn. This is a technique I've never tried before and I am totally in love with the result. It's a little harder to see in the picture than in real life, but it adds just a light mottled coloring to him. Since I used the 2 yarns together, I went up a hook size than what the pattern calls for and used a size I hook. Also, I used 12mm eyes for both parents.
Mrs. Louisa Slugington was next in the project. I used the same Simply Soft yarn in Blue Mint and combined it with Aunt Lydia's Iced Bamboo in Aqua Ice - it's a size 3 crochet thread that is aqua colored but has a strand of sparkly thread in it, so it kind of glitters. It's kind of a bummer that the glittering doesn't show up much in the photos, but take my word for it - she's sparkly :) I made her mouth with the Iced Bamboo in Pink Ice and did it the same way as Sylvia the Snail. I like how little and puckered the mouth came out and it distinguishes her as the mom. 
 For the oldest child, Juniper, I used the Marine Blue crochet thread from the dad combined weight the Aqua Ice crochet thread from the mom :) See - she has traits of both parents! I also used 2 differen size 3 threads for the eyes - Aunt Lydia's Fashion thread and Iced Bamboo, so even the eyes have a little sparkle to them. I used a size F hook and 9mm eyes for her as well.
The two littlest kids were actually made using the same size threads, but this one came out a little bigger than the teal one. This was made with just the marine blue crochet thread and the white fashion thread for the eyes. I've named this one Leo :) I used a size D hook and 6mm eyes for both little ones.
The youngest Slugington is named Winnie :) She is made of the Aqua Ice thread and has the white Icicle thread for her eyes - she's nice and shimmery. It's funny how she really is just a tad smaller than the other little guy even though I used all the same components. My only guess it that the iced bamboo must be a little thinner than the regular bamboo thread.
Here is the whole brood from the top. See how much smaller Winnie is? I will say - the little ones took no joke twice as long to make as the big ones. I've never crocheted anything so small before. Up until this project the smallest hook I had used was a size F, and the D was so thin I felt like I was going to snap the hook while i used it! Those antennae - holy cow those were a pain to do so small. But I persevered and I'm so glad I did because I love my little family :)

The Slug-a-Long goes until February 13th, so I plan to do a fancy photo shoot with my slugs to make them look super cute. I've got my eye on the prize of the two skeins of Fuzzbee yarn :) 

Have you made any slugs? I'd love to see them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining in the conversation!