Wednesday, February 13, 2013

I'm Officially A Homeowner!

So, sorry for the crazy 2 weeks silence. That's like death in blog years, lol. But in my defense, I got my house! We closed on our house last Thursday so I have been a homeowner for 1 full week. I can't say it's been all fun and roses,  but I am glad to finally have all the ridiculous papers and whatnot done. I'm not really cut out for that crap.
Anyway, so, my house :) I've been working at it little by little. I've narrowed down an attack strategy. First I am working on the kitchen cabinets and the master bedroom. Everything else will come second, that way we can move in and have a finished place to crash and not have to worry about a torn apart kitchen. I think this is a sound plan :)

As it happens, I'm doing other things at the same time. It seems that once we start working on those two main projects, something else pops up that we have to complete before we can proceed with the main objective. I started going around with my mom and patching places in the walls and discovered that the previous owners were some of the worst painters I've ever seen in my life. Everything in this house has been half ass'd and it has caused more headaches for me - the person who believes in doing things right from the beginning. We knew about a large crack in the wall in our bedroom, so my mom and I started working on that. We also went around and pulled out every nail and screw they had left and painted over. We also had to try to fix places that they "fixed" who knows when. Word to the wise - when you spackle over a hole in the wall, don't just leave it all gooped up and paint over it. You need to sand it down, then prime it, then paint the wall. Oh, and don't use high gloss paint - it makes your mistakes stick out even more.

Sorry if I sound upset by the way I write. Mostly, I'm just tired and I know it's barely just begun. I am happy though :) It's finally sinking in that this is my house and I can do whatever I want with it and that is a crazy thought. Today, Justin and I worked in separate rooms - he took down the cabinet doors (to prep for painting), and I cleaned a bathroom, pulled down wallpaper, and removed more nails and screws. We have to get molding for the cabinet doors and then I can proceed with painting and whatnot. I've got serious plans for those babies and they will not look anything like they do now when I'm done :)

So, I just wanted to give an update and apologize for the lack of blogging. I will be showing our progress around the house as well as catching up on various projects I've completed but not blogged about, so check back!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations!!! It's a lot of work, but it's all yours to make with it what you will - and I'm sure it'll be a paradise once you're finished!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining in the conversation!