Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Wallpaper Weirdness

One of the perils of buying an older house is inevitably the wallpaper. While my house was built in 1967, the people I bought it from purchased it in 1990, so almost every room was covered with some type of wallpaper, be it a border or just covering the whole wall. Not to toot my own horn, but I have gotten pretty dang good at removing wallpaper now (and I have vowed to never use it in my own house ever again because of it). I just thought others might enjoy some of the ridiculous things the previous owners did with wallpaper - at least then someone could get some humor out of it :) It's not quite so funny when you have to deal with it yourself. Nonetheless, here is some of the wallpaper I've had to remove.
Here is the dining room. We knew there was wallpaper beneath the chair rail, and it looked like this:
Oh, those country flowers. When we started peeling this paper back in hopes of painting the walls, we found this:
More floral wallpaper! I mean how lazy do you have to be to put paper over paper? This is from the late 60s or early 70s. So, it will all be coming down, it's just taking twice the amount of work.

Elsewhere in the weird wallpaper-covered world of my house, we have the master bathroom:
Awe, look. They carried that hideous yellow color in from the bedroom. How special. Who cares that it clashes against the yellow color of the tile, right? This bathroom is a hodge-podge of problems, but the wallpaper certainly doesn't help. What really deserves a disappointed head shake is this:
The shower, which wasn't tiled high enough to begin with, has wallpaper, a border, more wallpaper, and then paint on top of it all! That's 3 layers of paper with paint over top. In the shower. In an area where it gets wet because the dummy who tiled the shower made it to short. Yeah.
And if the non-coordinating yellow striped paper wasn't enough for you, there is a different original wallpaper under that in the actual room part of the bathroom.  I know it's hard to see in this photo, but the paper is little hunter green hearts (assembled like a clover) with green mallards! And there is even a border under there as well.

This is just a small sampling of my wallpaper woes. Hopefully you take this as a cautionary tale - stay away from wallpaper! Or at least remove it before you put more on! Please, I beg you - in the name of the person who will buy your house next!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining in the conversation!