Monday, September 25, 2023

FO: White Gable Top

And finally the Gable top that started me sewing Gables! This shirt was the one I wanted so much that I made the other versions to test with. I just love a slash neck and it seems that I am always in need of simple white shirts because I have a lot of colored and patterned bottoms, so it really goes with everything. Being an avid thrifter (at this point I can't even imagine paying full price for new clothing - like... how do you do that?), I have to admit that good white shirts are notoriously hard to come by in good condition. They always seem to have holes or stains. I mean... they're white, you known? So when I saw that The Sewing Studio had their white Laguna Jersey in their clearance section, I bought 6 yards to I can make myself as many white t-shirts as my heart desires. I specifically had this pattern in mind when buying this fabric, so it's only fitting that it be one of the first things I make when I start sewing again, right?
So the Laguna Jersey has a bit of a tighter recovery than my Prickly Gable or my Purple Roses Gable did. This shirt was cut at the same time and in the same way as the Purple Roses version, but this one came out much more fitted. Not badly so, just obviously more snug. It's still comfy, so I am fine with the difference. I just need to remember to account for the recovery next time.
You can see the difference mostly in the back. Still not bad though. 
Funny enough, the arms were still too loose and I had to take them in a bit and they are still a bit loose at the hem. I guess my forearms are thinner than the pattern is drafted for in my bust size? I'm learning how oddly sized my body is more and more with each make, lol . It's all good though.
The neckline is great - maybe a tiny bit too tall. This knit wanted to roll much more than the other 2 did, so it was harder to get it rolled down enough. Still a good height - just something to consider next time. I did narrow the shoulders again, but again it could use that extra 1/4 inch narrower. I'm going to have to pull out the pattern pieces and make this adjustment on the paper itself so I remember.
I used twill tape in the shoulders again, but I decided to use a fancy flower ribbon from my stash to mark as the tag, because why not? I figured the floral might show through on the shoulders, but in the back my hair would cover it anyway. This also has a  inch deep hem, which helps the shirt lay nicely when I tuck it in.
This shirt is the perfect blank canvas for my new skirts I've made recently. Like... literally everything matches a white skirt. It's such a versatile piece and I'm so thrilled to finally have this made up. That said ... now I'm wondering if it's a little too plain. I've been obsessed with Irish crochet lately and I'm contemplating maybe making a few white motifs to sew on the neck area? OR maybe I just need to make a second top and leave this one totally plain? We'll see. For now, I love having this one as it is.
So that's the final piece of my trio of Gable tops! I made all of these in just a few evenings and I've loved having every single one of them in my wardrobe. It's always nice to have something so immediately useful to wear, isn't it? It's probably not the most editorial shirt to look at, but I can't recommend a white t-shirt enough. And now I have enough fabric to make more if I (inevitably) stain this one, lol.


Summary:

Fabric: 1.25 yards Laguna Cotton Jersey - $6.00

Pattern: Gable Top by Jennifer Lauren Handmade 

Notions: twill tape, thread - Free

Time: 2 hours

Total Cost: $6.00

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining in the conversation!