Sunday, January 14, 2024

FO: Spiderman Hat & Scarf Set

 Are you noticing the trend yet?

Once I worked out the sizing and kinks of making the Ravenclaw hat and scarf set, it was time to churn out a few other variations. My 5 year old nephew is very into Spiderman lately, so I decided to make him a set to feel super cool. I was inspired by a red and blue striped hat and scarf I saw online that I knew I could recreate and I dove in.
The hat came first on this one because I was making all the hats back to back. This set worked out to be a bit of a stash bust. I had various partial skeins of red and blue acrylic yarn that was given to me or leftover from other projects, so this was the perfect opportunity to use those up. The blue yarn is Red Heart Super Saver in the Delft Blue colorway, which I used up entirely, and the red in an unknown acrylic from a friend (I suspect it's I Love This Yarn) and I only have a small ball of that leftover. The hat was made with the same YouTube Video as the first hat and it worked great for this one too. The only difference is that I had to change the yarns myself since this wasn't self striping. I did 6 rows of each color for the striping and I think that was the perfect amount. The back is mattress stitched together and it's almost seamless, which I'm happy with.
The spiderman emblem was also made by me! Well, by a machine that I directed, which counts, right? I swear as more machinery is involved, I don't really know how to refer to things anymore, you know? Anyway, I searched online for Spiderman files for my mom's embroidery machine (I have an older machine that does embroidery, but my mom's is fancier and she has all the threads on hand to make whatever AND I was too lazy to set mine up, lol). The file only took about 15 minutes to stitch out, which wasn't bad. I used some black linen scraps as the base fabric and then we used several stabilizers to get this crisp look. I think the patches turned out really great. Once the file was stitched out, I just cut very close around it like a patch and hand stitched it to the center front.
Next came the scarf. I made this 50 stitches wide (same as the Ravenclaw one) and I just kept knitting until I ran out of yarn. Since my nephew is 5, he didn't need an adult sized scarf. The red yarn in this scarf is Premier Yarns Everyday Soft Worsted in the Really Red colorway, which I only have a small ball of left now. The blue is the same Red Heart and I ran out mid stripe, which was a bit of a bummer. I wanted the stripes to at least be the same width throughout, so I added a bit of black just to finish out that 6 row stripe. I think it still goes fine and no one has asked why it has a stripe of black. Design feature! 
I cast off when I ran out of yarn and tried it on my kids (who are one year older) and the length seamed just fine. I used a mattress stitch to close up the sides and a kitchener stitch at the ends and then steamed the daylights out of the edges just like before. 
And then I sewed my home-stitched patch at the bottom on the side with the black - I think this makes the black seem a bit more deliberate, don't you?
So that's the Spiderman set :) My nephew was very excited when he opened it - much more so than I thought a 5 year old getting clothing of any kind would be - so that was really nice. It's always nice to feel like the gift recipient appreciates what you gave them, which is so hit and miss with kids. I'm glad I could make something cool enough to make him that happy.

Summary:

Yarn: Red Heart Super Saver in Delft Blue - Free, Premier Yarns Everyday Soft Worsted in Really Red - $2.00, Unknown Acrylic in Red - Free

Pattern: None

Notions: Spiderman embroidery file - $3.00

Time: 3 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining in the conversation!