Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Crochet Update: Meet Maynard the Mallard!

I was so excited when my little sister said she wanted me to pick out some crochet patterns for my birthday and this pattern was one of the first that I snagged :) I've wanted to make it ever since I first saw it! Without further ado, meet Maynard :)
This pattern was designed by one of my "online friends" - you know, one of those people you have commented on briefly and gotten a nice response from and who you see all their projects as they make them but never actually have a real conversation :) Her name is HollieJolly Designs and we know each other through the FreshStitches group on Ravelry. Hollie only recently made the jump from amigurumi maker to designer and I LOVE all her designs so far :) This mallard was my favorite.
 The pattern is Drake the Mallard Duck, available on Ravelry for instant download. For my mallard, I happaned to have all the right colors already in my stash from other animals! I used Vanna's Choice yarn in Kelly Green (the head), Mustard (the beak and feet), and Linen (the main grayish body color) along with Everyday Soft Worsted in Chocolate (for the chest) and Black(for the tail and a scrap piece of Red Heart Super Saver in White for the neck and tail.
 Isn't his little tail cute? I know it's hard to see in the photo, but the tip is white.
And look at the little feet! lol The flop just perfectly - love it!
And how could you not love his inquisitive little duck face? As far as the pattern goes, it is really well done :) The only problems I had were from total user error. I've had a raging sinus infection while I made this (seriously the worst one I've ever had in my life) and somehow I made his body too short. I still don't know how I did that! I didn't notice until I had made the wings and went to attach them - they were at least 5 rows longer than the body. Yikes! Since the body was already finished off and stuffed, I just pulled out the excess rows on the wings until they were an appropriate length and lined up with the tail. No problem!

So, next time I won't make this guy while I'm sick :) Lesson learned. I really love this pattern and love how it came out. Thanks Hollie for such a sweet mallard pattern!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I wanted to see if there is a pattern that I can access for this? Please get back to me soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep - it's available on Ravelry here: https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/drake-the-mallard-duck

      Delete

Thanks for joining in the conversation!