Tuesday, January 5, 2016

A Year In Books - 2015

This year seemed to be the year of books for me. If I had a spare minute, I was reading or listening to a book. Turn off your cable and this is what happens to you, lol. I'm pretty proud of my stats this year on my quest to read 1000 books in my lifetime. I love how Goodreads put everything together like an infographic, so here are some of the particulars about my reading in 2015.
I've continued my tradition of writing out reviews of all the books I read this year, and while I'm sure some people find my constant reviews a little boring, I am really glad that I "do my homework" and get them written. The reviews are much more for my own reading comprehension than anything else. By writing up my thoughts on a book, I am able to solidify my feelings and memories of it in a deeper way than if I just move on to the next story. I like to keep my hand in the game, though I'm sure if any of my grade school teachers found out that I voluntarily write my own mini book reports now, they would laugh their butts off. So if you care to read any of the reviews I wrote about the book I've read this year, click the titles and it will show you the review post (there are quite a few that I haven't posted a review for yet, but I hope to catch up next year).
  1. Landline by Rainbow Rowell
  2. Joyful Wisdom by Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche
  3. 10% Happier by Dan Harris
  4. Love in the Time of Cholera by Garbiel Garcia Marquez
  5. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
  6. Not Cool by Greg Gutfeld
  7. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
  8. Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
  9. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
  10. 1984 by George Orwell
  11. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
  12. The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
  13. The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo
  14. This Side of Paradise by F. Scott Fitzgerald
  15. The Trauma of Everyday Life by Mark Epstein
  16. An Object of Beauty by Steve Martin
  17. Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk by David Sedaris
  18. The Princess Bride by William Goldman
  19. All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
  20. Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
  21. Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami
  22. The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky
  23. Doctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak
  24. The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins
  25. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
  26. Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne
  27. The Botany of Desire by Michael Pollan
  28. A Room with a View by E.M. Forster
  29. Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
  30. Not My Father's Son by Alan Cumming
  31. Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris
  32. The Shipping News by Annie Proulx
  33. Call the Midwife by Jennifer Worth
  34. A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf
  35. Catch Me If You Can by Frank W. Abagnale Jr.
  36. I Feel Bad About My Neck by Nora Ephron
  37. The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
  38. The Astronaut Wives Club by Lily Koppel
  39. The Wizard of Oz by L.Frank Baum
  40. The Road by Cormac McCarthy
  41. Sacré Bleu by Christopher Moore
  42. The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
  43. The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs
  44. Germinal by Émile Zola
  45. Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple
  46. The Virgin Blue by Tracy Chevalier
  47. Spontaneous Happiness by Andrew Weil
  48. I Was Told There'd Be Cake: Essays by Sloane Crosley
  49. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
  50. The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner
  51. Far From the Madding Crown by Thomas Hardy
  52. This Time Together by Carol Burnett
  53. The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett
  54. Paddle Your Own Canoe by Nick Offerman
  55. Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
  56. A Wrinkle In Time by Madeleine L'Engle
  57. Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain
  58. Dr. Mutter's Marvels by Cristin O'Keefe Aptowicz
  59. Watch Me by Anjelica Huston
  60. Someday, Someday, Maybe by Lauren Graham
  61. The Swiss Family Robinson by Johann David Wyss
  62. The Path To Enlightenment by Dalai Lama XIV
  63. A World Lit Only By Fire by William Manchester
  64. The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden by Jonas Jonasson
  65. The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith
  66. The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson
  67. The Secret History by Donna Tartt
  68. The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith
  69. Stardust by Neil Gaiman
  70. Boundaries by Henry Cloud
  71. The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
  72. Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock by Matthew Quick
  73. Before Happiness by Shawn Achor
  74. The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky
  75. Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert
  76. American Gods by Neil Gaiman
  77. A Bear Called Paddington by Michael Bond
  78. Daisy Miller by Henry James
  79. Alice In Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
  80. Alice Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll
Considering that I has a goal of reading only 24 books, I think it's safe to say I blew that estimate out of the water, lol. I was completely addicted to reading this year. I did a lot of driving, so I listened to audiobooks on the way. I listened to them while I knit, cleaned, sewed, even while I covered base boards with fabric at work. Reading is a wonderful escape when things get rough in your own life, and all these stories helped me to get a better perspective on my own goings on.
Some books are always better than others, and I like to keep a list of all the books I rate as 5 star. I have had a few 5 star ratings added to my list this year :) They are:
  • 10% Happier
  • Atlas Shrugged
  • The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up
  • Mere Christianity
  • A Tale of Two Cities
  • A Room of One's Own
  • The Sound and the Fury
  • The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
  • The Secret History
  • Big Magic
I would absolutely recommend every single one of these books as they were excellent. There's quite a variety here as far as genre and style, but I like to keep things interesting in that way. I haven't been able to post the reviews on all of these yet, but I will update the links as I do post them. Check out my reviews to see if any of these sound like something you, too, would be interested in.

I'm keeping my goal for next year low in comparison to what I read this past year, Reading 80 books was a complete fluke, and while it would be great to have that crazy number again, I'm not going to press myself to that standard. I read for fun :) So I don't want to put too many deadlines or quotas on it. Here's to a new year of learning!

2 comments:

  1. Ha! This is AWESOME! I Love how you organized your book reviews on one page without requiring your subscribers to sift through archives and click on every title!

    3 of your 5 Star Reads are ALSO my favs too! Especially "Big Magic" Best book I've read in AGES!!!! I must admit, Reading was never my forte (or even something I was skilled at till more recently) I began using audible a few years back and - between Audible, KindleUnlimited, Scribd, Texture and pretty much ANYTHING I CAN GET MY GRUBBY PAWS ON, I have finally begun to feel like a real, live GROWNUP who reads books for PLEASURE instead of dreading them as I did in College or at Work!

    Kudos to YOU Super Reader Girl!
    80? Eh-em... Did you say Eighty? Did I read that correctly?
    My oh my! Apparently I'm still in preschool compared to you! Ha! I don't think I've read 80 books in my ENTIRE LIFE let alone 2015!

    MAYBE 8 or 9 - but it's probably more likely I read 6 or 7 last year!
    VERY IMPRESSED!

    Aside from sharing the same name, it seems we have a MUCH in common! I'm psyched to subscribe and get to know another gal who is all about learning, sharing, listing, searching for free resources and ultimately paying it forward at every turn!!! YOU ROCK MEGAN!

    Happy New Year & Warm Regards,

    Meg ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meg! lol Thanks so much for your kind comments. I am a bit of a crazy book lady now it would seem :) Big Magic was excellent and I tell other creative types about it all the time. It was so nice to read your comment. Sometimes I feel like no one reads my posts, lol, even though the stats say they do. So thank you very much - you made my day!

      Delete

Thanks for joining in the conversation!