Friday, March 31, 2023

FO: Patty the Platty

This was a case of me just finishing all my Christmas gift making and wanting to make something frivolous. I came across this pattern in my stash and it was just so adorable and I had no deadline makes actively going, so I decided immediately to cast it on :) Isn't she cute?
This is the Platypus with a Skirt pattern by Barbara Prime of Fuzzy Mitten Designs. I just love her animal patterns - they are always so classic and just look like what an heirloom toy should be to me. Her animals have jointed arms and legs and the look of them always reminds me of Calico Critters with their clothes and accessories.
This was an entirely stash project - the brown yarn is Vanna's Choice in Taupe, the gray is vintage Paton's Canadiana in Gray, and the purple is Serenity Sock in Purple. I cast this on just before New Year's and I finished it over the course of a month.
The bill was one of the more challenging appendages I've attached in a Fuzzy Mitten pattern and it took several tries at repositioning it to get it placed correctly. Then I stitched in the bars to make the bill shaped like it should be. It was fiddly, but we got there in the end and I'm glad I made the effort to make her look like she should.
Her little dress is so cute with a lovely textured stitch all over. The mini buttons have been in my stash from making other Fuzzy Mitten clothing before - they came in a big pack of various colors and they are handy to have around for this purpose. The purple yarn was chosen because it's one of the only sock yarns I had that I only have one skein of and therefor it would not work for a full pair of socks, plus the color looked very good with the body colors I had chosen.
So that's Patty the Platy :) I think she's just adorable and she was just the project I needed at the time to get back into making silly things just for fun. Sometimes you just need a palate cleanser that doesn't need to fit anyone and it's only purpose is to be cute, you know? If you need a project along those lines, I definitely recommend any of Barbara's patterns. They never disappoint.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining in the conversation!