Thursday, June 22, 2023

WIP Wednesday (on Thursday): Playing with Irish Crochet and A Little Mending

I've had a little rabbit hole obsession lately that I just can't get my head away from: Irish Crochet details on clothing. I love them all - the Victorian and Edwardian examples of embellished Gibson girl style shirts with insertion lace and added motifs, the crazy colorful Russian crochet clothing, and everything in between. It started from watching this YouTube video (and it's predecessor) by Jenna Phipps. Now, I'm certainly not one to make a backless top that is entirely crocheted. Not a chance. But I loved the idea of putting various flowers together to make a top or sweater from, and let's be real - her color scheme is fabulous. I love the way all the colors she chose went together - it felt very high end and interesting without being crazy loud. Like a sophisticated crazy crocheted flower top. This started me thinking about what I could do to incorporate these ideas into my own making. I do also love the top in this video by Engineering Knits, which I watched ages ago. I am leaning more toward this idea with making a collar for a fabric top, but I wouldn't have the neckline so open. I'm thinking of making a t-shirt and having some of the sections open underneath but some of them backed with the knit fabric. That's what's rolling around in my head anyway.

So I decided to look up Irish crochet where I always learn how to do new fiber crafts: Craftsy. I have a membership from their Black Friday deal (it was like $1.50 for the whole year), so I started watching Modern Irish Crochet. The class goes into how to read Russian charts (very useful because they look a little different) and gives some common flower and leaf motifs. I started crocheting all of the examples she gives in the class just as practice, but I figure I will be able to put them together afterward to accomplish my t-shirt collar dreams. I grabbed a random crochet cotton from my stash - J&P Coats Royal Size 3 in the Navy colorway, which I got for free at a thrift store several months ago. It's a lovely color that I knew I could incorporate into something I would enjoy wearing (I love navy blue). I had a rather enjoyable evening just making up the flowers while watching the class. Once I get enough flowers made, I will progress to the class of connecting them together.

Then yesterday (actual Wednesday) was my birthday and I decided to take myself out for the day and go to Orlando. I had this Talbot brand dress I thrifted months ago - I bought a bag full of clothes in a bag sale back in January or so and this was too small but I thought I would turn it into a skirt, so I grabbed it when I had room in the bag for more clothes. Well, now it fits perfect! This was an exciting realization a week or so ago, but I discovered that the dress was missing buttons at the sleeves, it gaped a bit at the bust and waist, and the pockets were sewn shut. So before I went out for the day, I spent a little time sewing on some new buttons from my stash and then adding snaps in the gaping spots and seam ripping the pockets open. It was very cute and comfy all day. I did discover the waist buttonhole is ripped a bit, which makes the button prone to pop open (lovely), but this is an easy fix before I wear it again. I'm glad to have this cute dress in my wardrobe with just a few minor fixes, and it felt cute on my birthday with some of my favorite shoes.

I've also been working on my Susan Shaw cardigan - I finished the back piece and started the left front - as well as my raffia beach hat. The hat is very slow going, I must say, but we are getting there.

Anyone else pick up any new crafts lately? lol 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining in the conversation!