Friday, August 18, 2023

FO: Haruni Shawl

I had quite the saga going on with my main knitting project at the beginning of this year and I hit a point that I just had to set it aside and do something different. Next thing I knew I saw this shawl pattern and had bought a random yarn because I liked it and spur of the moment decided to make this up as a palette cleanser.

This is the Haruni shawl pattern by Emily Ross, a free pattern on Ravelry. I came across it by browsing the Ravelry board of TheLongHairedFlapper on YouTube, lol. Random. I like to watch her channel for vintage knitting and whatnot and found that she had made this, then I saw this pattern was free and it just sealed the deal.

I had not made a shawl since 2020 and I remembered not caring for them. They tend to start off very fun but then as it grows and the rows take longer and longer, it starts to feel like a drudge. So I expected that to happen with this shawl as well, and I was shocked at how quick this worked up and how much I enjoyed the lace pattern. Can you see the lace pattern? Not really, lol.  

The yarn is Yarn Bee Authentic Hand-Dyed from Hobby Lobby that I picked up on a whim. I was feeling down, they had a sale, and I was draw to this color combo. When I found the Haruni pattern I just decided to knit it up even though I knew this yarn would not show off the lace design very well. I really didn't care - I just wanted to use both these things. Does that make sense to anyone else? Sometimes you just want to make something without thinking of every possible issue.

When I finished the main lace section and reached the border, I still had 55 grams left. Pretty much every shawl I've ever made left me with so much yardage that I was worried this was going to happen again. I contemplated doing a few more repeats of the main lace design, but in the end I decided I didn't want to do the math associated with that. I wound up using all but 8 grams of this yarn for this project, so it was really good that I didn't alter anything because I'm sure I wouldn't have been able to finish it otherwise.

The border lace and scallop edge were fun and I love how the edge looks. Again - YOU can't really see it well, but I can see it when I wear it. If I wear this with a black shirt, it would stand out well. Considering I made this in April, I have yet to actually wear it anywhere because Florida is extremely hot in case you didn't know.


So that's my shawl :) I very much enjoyed making this up and it definitely served as a great palette cleanser for my disasterous sweater issues and I was able to pick that project up after this one and get it finished. I look forward to it being cool enough to wear this in the winter.

Summary:

Yarn: 1 skein of Yarn Be Authentic Hand-Dyed in Stonework colorway - $11.97

Pattern: Haruni - Free

Time: 3 weeks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining in the conversation!