Wednesday, October 25, 2023

WIP Wednesday: Emergency Sweater Cast On

What's a knitter to do when you go to grab your knitting on Saturday night only to realize you left it at work because someone moved your knitting bag away from the rest of your things and you just grabbed from the usual place when you left? And not only does your knitting bag contain your sleeve you were knitting but also the instructions for the green sweater you started last week, your good needles set, and your jump drives that contain literally your entire collection of knitting patterns on them so you can't even open up the file on your green sweater to pick up where you left off? So I've officially cast on a new sweater project, lol. 

As mentioned two weeks ago, I've had the Chuck sweater on my radar, so I happened to have already printed out the pattern when I was trying to decide which project to cast on, meaning I had it ready at my disposal. I decided to use the 3 skeins of Cascade 220 in the pal colorway that I bought in (no joke) 2014. I was so disappointed with this yarn when I bought it because I was expecting more of a bright green color. I was also very cheap and I only bought 3 skeins, which is not exactly enough for a sweater, particularly not a cardigan like I would usually want to make. But for whatever reason I almost can't understand why I disliked this color? It's a lovely green, so the only real explanation is the missed expectations. I also never really expected myself to want to knit the Chuck sweater because I never wear pullovers, but when I realized this yarn might be the perfect amount for this design now that I'm a smaller size and that this winter will likely be much colder than ours have been recently, I decided to accept this perfect match from the knitting universe and just make this project. I couldn't bear to face a full Sunday - with church and rehearsal and a concert - without a knitting project. I managed to make most of the upper back on Saturday night, Then Sunday I made the shoulders and front to just before the underarm when I finally noticed this:

I had twisted the shoulders when I started the front! I knew it was laying funny, but having only ever made one other pullover sweater in my life, I just thought it was how it was supposed to sit at the neck. Nope. 
I didn't want to undo my whole Sunday worth of work, so I decided to experiment with unpicking the shoulders. These were originally seamless, so I was kind of riding blind at what t unpick I think I undid a row of knitting on one shoulder, but when I grafted them back together with duplicate stitch, you really can't tell.
Sunday night, it looked like this :) All was well Monday morning, I joined the body at the underarms and now it looks like this:
So I now have 3 full sweaters in the works, which I try not to do. I like having one thinner yarn sweater and one thicker yarn sweater going at one time so I can switch by my mood, but I do typically have a few other projects going - maybe a shawl or a pair of socks or something - which I don't have right now. I'm trying to mentally be fine with this many sweaters, but it's hard, lol. I like the boost of seeing real progress on a project and then the boost of finishing it. With my knitting time now spit between an 3 projects instead of 2, I will not get that boost as quickly. Ah, well. I'm very much enjoying knitting this new sweater - much more than the Belladonna if I'm honest. I always enjoy watching cables grow.
I am also determined to finish my Susan Shaw cardigan soon. Last week I pulled out the sleeve a few times to figure out the width issue and I think it's looking good now. I have the sweater itself on my dressform waiting for me to finish the sleeves and then it will be done :) Then I already have the next project ready to take its place, lol.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining in the conversation!