Thursday, September 1, 2011

Fantabulous Food! Santa Fe Cheesy Chicken Stir-Fry

My husband and I have been making an effort to eat healthier, so the first place I went was my Hungry Girl 1-2-3: The Easiest, Most Delicious, Guilt-Free Recipes on the Planet recipe book he got me for Christmas last year. I have a lot of fun with this book and everything we have tried out of it has been great. So, when I needed a quick meal on Monday night, I thought this one sounded good... and I was not wrong :)

Hungry Girl Santa Fe Cheesy Chicken Stir-Fry:
This recipe is for one person, so I doubled everything for our dinner for two.
  • 4 oz raw, boneless skinless lean chicken breasts, chopped
  • 2 tbsp canned black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1/2 tbsp chopped cilantro
  • 1/2 tsp lime juice
  • 1/8 tsp chili powder
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 2 dashes ground cumin
  • 2 dashes black pepper
  • 1/4 cup frozen corn
  • 1/4 cup thinly sliced onion
  • 1/4 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
  • 1/4 cup shredded fat-free cheddar cheese
  • 1/4 cup chopped tomatoes
  • 2 crunched up tortilla chips, optional
1. In a bowl, combine chicken, beans, cilantro, lime juice, chili powder, salt, cumin, and black pepper. Mix well and set aside.
2. Bring a skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat. Add corn, onion, and bell pepper. Stirring frequently, cook for 4-5 minutes until onion softens.
3. Add chicken mixture and, stirring occasionally, cook for 5 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
4. Add cheese and tomatoes and stir until cheese starts to melt. Optional: sprinkle crushed up tortilla chop over mix. Enjoy immediately!
I know the picture looks kind of like a bowl of weird mush, but this was seriously delicious. Trust me - why else would I post a recipe this simple? :) It only took about 15 minutes and it was a great, healthy dinner (only 256 calories per recipe!) I have a feeling I will be posting more of these simple, healthy recipes in the future, so check back each week!

On a side note - do you like this format for the recipes better? I started looking through some of my previous posts and realized that all the pictures can cause a bit of confusion. So, should I take more pictures or less? Or maybe in the middle? Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining in the conversation!