Wednesday, April 24, 2013

World Book Night 2013

Well, I had the fantastic opportunity to be a giver again for World Book Night 2013 yesterday :) I was lucky enough to be chosen as a giver last year as well, but I am happy to report that this year was so much more fun! Last year, I really didn't know too much about the program (ex. I hadn't read the book even and didn't know I was supposed to have). This year, World Book Night was much better organized as far as getting info around to the givers and I greatly benefited from that - so thanks to all those who ran it! This year I printed myself a badge (the I Am A Book Giver circle pictured above) and I also made a makeshift sign that I carried around; it had a poster on one side and an explanation of World Book Night on the back. Basically, I embraced all of the extra promotion items they put up on the website. It all made me look much more official, so people didn't seem so weirded out by me trying to give them a book. I've found that most people are afraid you are trying to sell something or give them a religious pamphlet and are not so likely to believe you just want to give them a national bestseller scott free!

This year, my book was Bossypants by Tina Fey. I made sure to borrow it from the library back in March and it was awesome! I can totally see why it was a bestseller - so funny! Just what you would expect from Tina Fey. I highly recommend it.

I had so much more luck with giving my 20 copies away this year! I'm not sure if it's because it was a better known book this time or because I was able to tell people about it,  probably a little of both, but I had all of my copies given out by lunch time. I started by giving a few to customers and coworkers at work - all light readers! The whole purpose behind World Book Night is to promote casual reading to those who normally don't casually read. After giving away a few there, I dropped by my friend's salon and gave away some to the stylists there. Next, I needed to get lunch, and thought the people who work at my favorite local place (Philly Station) would like a copy - which they did :) I also ended up giving away 3 more to other customers in the restaurant. I rounded it off by giving a few more away to some customers at work.

I had so much fun with World Book Night this year :) I got to giveaway a book that was really fun and funny, and I got to connect with lots of random people as well as promote reading in the process!

If you are interested in being a giver next year, you can sign up for their emails here and they will alert you when the time comes. It's loads of fun - trust me, I've done it 2 years in a row now and I plan on doin git again next year (if I'm lucky)!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining in the conversation!