Monday, May 20, 2024

FO: This Vera Top Used To Be a Dress!

This project had an unconventional start. I was walking through Old Navy (which is an incredibly rare occurrence one its own) and was loving the fact that they had so many items in my favorite color green. I grabbed a few items, but they had one that I would never wear: A spaghetti strap knit dress.

 

The fabric was a lovely and soft viscose jersey and I felt it thinking I wish it was not this dress. I went home and was ordering a different dress from their website (because they didn't have my size in the store) and I had the idea - Duh! I can sew things. And this dress has more than enough fabric to remake into a top I would love. 

I made a whole video where I outline the whole process of using this dress as yardage - things to consider, how to know if you have enough for the pattern you want to make, etc. Click through to watch the video and see how to do this for yourself!

This is still a blog though, so now back to the regular post about this FO :)

I was able to cut the front and back pieces on the fold at the center front and back of the dress, so these areas all look exactly as any other shirt would. I went with my new love - The Vera Knit Top, which is a free pattern from Forget-Me-Not Patterns. This pattern is everything a free pattern should be - a wonderful gift to test out the style of that company's patterns and get a great garment in the process.
The first time I made this pattern, I was very happy with how it turned out, but having never sewn a V neckline before it wasn't 100% perfect. I am so proud of the V on this version. It turned out exactly with the seam on the middle line of the V. Excellent. 
Really the only difference between this version and one sewn from yardage is that I have a seam going down the center of the sleeves. With these large sleeves and limited fabric, I had to use the original side seams. I just made sure to line up that seam with the center of the pattern piece and it is perfectly aligned with the shoulder seam, so it looks very deliberate. If I didn't tell people this was formerly the skirt of a dress, they would never know. The seam line just looks like a design detail.
I am so incredibly happy with how this top turned out. I have worn it several times already and it goes with a surprising amount of my skirts, which is a great bonus considering I was so smitten with the color that I didn't really think about how well it would incorporate into my wardrobe, lol. Now no knit dress is safe! They all look like fabric to me :)

Summary:

Fabric: Size 4X Old Navy Dress - $15

Pattern: Vera Top by Forget me Not Patterns - Free

Notions: Thread - Free

Time: 3 Hours

Total Cost: $15

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining in the conversation!