Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Knitting Update: Punkin' Head Baby Hat

lol I have no idea what the phrase punkin' head comes from, but that's what I think of every time I see this hat. A friend of mine is having a baby in October, so she requested a pumpkin hat. Of course I was happy to oblige :)
This is the Little Pumpkin pattern from the book Itty Bitty Hats by Susan B. Anderson. This was a really simple hat to make since it's mostly stockinette stitch. This was yet another affirmation that my giraffe really sped up my knitting. I was able to make this in just 2 nights! I remember it taking me a week or more to make the last knitted baby hats I made last September - granted it has been almost a year since then so it's natural I would be quicker and better by now. At least one would hope lol.
I made this hat using Lion Brand Wool-Ease yarn in the Pumpkin (of course) and Avocado colorways. I love how the ribbing creates the little puffed out sections like a real pumpkin. I wish they were slightly poofier, but I think if they were it wouldn't fit nicely on the head, so I really do like it just as it is. This is my first time working with Wool-Ease and I really liked it. It's nice and soft, but since it has a percentage of real wool it's also nice and warm.
I love the little leaf on the top. The way the pattern is written it comes out a little asymmetrical which I think makes it look more realistic. That stem was a pain in the butt though, lol. I could not for the life of me keep tension on so few stitches since they alternate between knit and purl rows. There aren't any holes or anything, but it's not as tight as I usually like. At least it looks cute :)
This is the hat in its natural state. I put a ball of yarn inside it for the other photos since i no longer have a baby model with the correct size head now (my nephew is 9 months and has a head the size of a 1 year old lol).

So that's one more baby item done :) I love making baby stuff! It's quick and fun and always turns out cute. I can't wait to see this on its new owner in October!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining in the conversation!