Wednesday, April 9, 2014

WIP Wednesday: Easter Animals Edition

I almost don't believe it myself, but I have finished all of my wips from last week! Prepare for a pretty epic FO Friday, lol. Luckily, there are always tons of cute things to make so I didn't go without a project ... or 3.
First up is the Silly Duck from Fuzzy Mitten. There is a sort of unofficial knit-along for this pattern this month, so I decided to jump in on it. It's a super cute design and the pattern is half price, so why not? I decided to use a mystery yarn that came in the big bag of yarn I was given. It took me forever to figure out what it was but I liked it so much that I endured the search, lol. Turns out it's Red Heart Value Textured Yarn and I absolutely love it. Of course, it's discontinued and you can't even find it on ebay anymore. Oh well. I'll enjoy the skein I have. This yarn is great for knitted animals - it's just fuzzy enough without making it to where you can't see the stitches. I'm also using some old Caron Sayelle in baby yellow for the feet - another thrift store yarn that I am newly in love with. It may sound strange, but the yarn is actually a little stretchy, so it makes the stitches hold together for a tighter fabric = perfect for animals! And I have this yarn in a bunch of colors - hooray! lol I'm really excited to finish up the duck. I'm about half way through at this point :)
This next project is a new/oldie. I was at a local thrift store on Friday night after work (I was actually there to buy knit fabric) when I saw this weird box in the craft section. It was all taped up and you couldn't see anything from the outside, but it had a little label on it that said Bucilla Yellow Brick Road Coverlet Kit. I asked the cashier if I could open it up before I bought it just to check it out and she let me cut into all the tape and I found all this stuff inside. For some reason, I loved the blanket and wanted to make it, lol. I know it's kind of silly and definitely 70s looking, but I think it's cute. The weirdest part is that the kit had everything - all the yarn and hooks to make it - except the pattern! I was so bummed! I didn't buy it that night, but I decided to see if I could find it on ebay that night. I found where someone else had put the same kit up for sale and they had taken pictures of all the pages of the instruction! Score! lol So having the pattern I went back and bought the kit the next day - and it was only $3. Everyone I show the blanket picture to thinks I'm crazy, lol, but I don't care, I'm making it. Incidentally, the center section is Tunisian crochet (thus the long "afghan hook" in the kit), so this will be a great opportunity to give Tunisian a try :)
And I have been dying to make my own Well-Dressed Bunny ever since I found the pattern a few weeks ago. I blame Watership Down for this desire :) Plus it's coming up on Easter, so what better time to make up a bunny? I put off making it because I really wanted a honey/brown color for the body and I didn't have it in my stash. Thank heavens for an April Fool's Day sale on Joann.com :) I got 2 different yarns in hopes that one would be the right color, and this Patons Canadiana in Flax is exactly what I wanted. I can't wait to make him up! Maybe I'll really get on the ball and make the Bunny Puppet too. Here's hoping!
So that's my crazy list of things I'm up to now :) Head over to Tami's Amis' Blog to see what lovely things other are making.

1 comment:

  1. We just got finished reading Mossflower with my son for bedtime stories and I've been itching to make some dressed up woodland animals, too! Also, I think that's really great thrift store find!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining in the conversation!