Thursday, May 28, 2015

FO: Altered Navy Pin Dot Skirt

I purchased this rather large skirt from a thrift store probably a year ago (maybe longer, to be honest). I was good and started pinning out the excess, but then had to stop for some reason ... and there it sat ... for probably that full year ... in my "wip" drawer. It still had the pins in it when I decided to unearth things in that drawer a few weeks ago. I'm not sure why I never finished this, but it was quick and easy and now I have a lovely new skirt!
I ended up removing about 5 or 6 inches from the waistline of this skirt. I split the difference between both sides, tapered out at my hips, then just angled ever so slightly out to the original fullness at the bottom hem. Seriously, this took an hour from conception to finish and I just love it - bless you center back zippers! It is only because the zipper is at the center back on this skirt that this was such a quick project. And by quick I mean that this was basically one long seam on each side since there is no "waistband". So simple!
The original tag was cut out of this by the previous owner, so I'm not sure of the brand or original size. The fabric is a lovely navy rayon-ish material with white pin dots and a navy blue lining. It's a little longer than I usually make my skirts, but I didn't want to mess with the narrow rolled hem yet. I'm actually quite surprised at how much I like the length, but if I ever decide it's too frumpy I can always go back and shorten it a smidge.
The best part of this skirt - it's swish-ability factor! It's so wonderfully drapey, but full enough to have a fun swish, which I love :) Hooray for quick, fun projects that leave you with a great wardrobe staple!


Summary:
Fabric: thrifted rayon skirt (navy blue with white pin dots) - $1.00
Notions: thread - stash
Hours: About 1 total

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining in the conversation!