Monday, February 8, 2016

Book Review: The Swiss Family Robinson by Johann David Wyss

I was interested in The Swiss Family Robinson because of a life long relationship to the 1950s Disney film that I always loved. I wasn't surprised that the book was different from the movie, but I still really enjoyed it. The Robinson family are involved in a shipwreck when migrating to New Guinea and the entire crew of the ship abandons them. The parents and their 4 sons are left to salvage what they can from the ship and find land to stay on. They luck out since the ship was resupplying a colony, and they end up with quite the menagerie of livestock and supplies. They set up camp, constantly improving on their home by using their own ingenuity, always hoping for another ship to pass by the island to carry them on to New Guinea. 

This book is really written to teach young boys how wonderful self sufficiency can be. It's fantastic the contraptions Mr. Robinson comes up with to give their lives a little more convenience, and his sons develop his same "problem solving" spirit. I would absolutely recommend this to adventurous boys, but adults can enjoy the story as well. I confess I learned quite a bit about how to preserve foods and build things, lol. It was a very enjoyable read. I give this book 4 out of  stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining in the conversation!