Saturday, November 7, 2020

FO: Punkin Kitty

When I see an adorable and quick pattern for a holiday that my kids will love, I am sometimes persuaded to jump my usual knitting queue :) This project is one of those.

Anna Hrachovec of Mochimochi Land released a collection called Spookie Ookie Cats at the beginning of October and I just knew I had to make them. My twins are in love with this old school blow form cat coming out of a jack-o-lantern I picked up on the side of the road back in June - they call it Punkin Kitty and they insisted on giving it a hug ever day when we got home during December, lol, it was adorable. So I see a pattern released that has a cat coming out of a jack-o-lantern and I just knew it needed to be made a reality for our house.
The collection of patterns includes this Jack-o-Cat, a Ghostie Cat, an Itchy Witchy Hat Cat, and Guitar Case Cat (which I believe was originally coffin cat, but she changed it). The patterns are all written for sock yarn and size 1 needles, but I knew my 2 and a half year olds would quickly lose something that small. No worries! I just sized up to worsted weight yarn I had on hand and used size 5 needles, which yielded something still small but big enough for them to play with and not lose so easily.
First up was the kitty. I used Vanna's Choice yarn in Black and made him up in about an hour and a half. His eyes and mouth are embroidered on with the Mustard colorway.
I just love the cute little tail, lol.
Once the cat was made, I focused on knitting the pumpkin. I used Red Heart With Love in the Mango colorway for this. The pattern has you knit the whole pumpkin and then embroider the face on. I just used more of the black yarn for the face.
The inside of the pumpkin is lined in Vanna's Choice in Mustard. I just chose all of these from the acrylic yarns I had on hand. I like how this pattern is fully enclosed and smooth inside so I don't have to worry about the girls pulling on any threads when they play with this. The pattern also includes a little lid for the pumpkin, but I knew my kids would just lose it, lol, and it's cute just like it is so I called it good.
So that's the Punkin Kitty! It is super cute to hear my girls say that and I will always remember it when I see this little guy. I had grand plans to make up the Ghostie Cat pattern as well before Halloween, but ya'll I'm a single mom of twin toddlers. It did not happen and I'm not beating myself up about it, lol. This just gives me a new project for next October and we can slowly build up the set. 

I hope you had a Happy Halloween!


Summary:
Pattern: 
Spooky Ookie Cats by Anna Hrachovec
Yarn: Vanna's Choice in Black, Red Heart With Love in Mango, Red Heart Super Saver in Gold
Time: 2.5 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining in the conversation!