Friday, June 2, 2023

FO: Girly Gramps Cardigan

My sister, Shannon, had her first baby last year and of course I had to make her something :) We knew it was going to be a girl beforehand, and given that she's in a colder area and the time of year the baby was born, I decided to use this as an opportunity to finally knit up a baby sweater. I searched my pattern stash and yarn stash and settled on this ADORABLE sweater and I'm so pleased with the results.
The pattern is gramps by tincanknits. It has a huge array of sizes, going from 0-6 months up to adult, and it was just so cute. I made the smallest size and it honestly still is a bit large for a standard sized infant. She was still swimming in it at 4 months, but that worked ok because it fit for the coldest time. I decided to really girl it up and make this little old man style sweater in Strawberry Cream colored Cascade 220 Superwash with the same in Cream for the accents. This way she gets the warmth of wool, but it's still easy care for washing. I've had these yarns in my stash for years from a different baby project for a friend's baby, so I was happy to use it for another little babe.
The knitting on this was pretty straight forward - it's knit seamless and then you have to add the adorable pockets and elbow patches. Are these frivolous? Absolutely. But are they the cutest thing ever? Of course. 
I used some of what I call my Magic Tube of Buttons for this. I got an entire tube of these buttons for $2 a few years ago and they have worked for SO MANY projects. I think I've used them for a few sweaters for myself as well as a button down shirt and possibly something else. I still have a bunch left, so they will continue to show up from time to time. They are just the right touch for a lot of things.
So that was it - an adorable sweater for an adorable baby :) 

Summary:
Yarn: Cascade 220 Superwash - 0.85 skeins of Strawberry Cream, 0.58 skeins of Aran
Pattern: gramps by tincanknits
Notions: 5 Buttons
Time: just shy of 1 month

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining in the conversation!