Monday, July 24, 2023

Summer Knitting Bug: Dreams of Knitting (with Full Plans I Will Probably Not Make Yet lol)

I've been bit by the summer knitting bug BIG TIME. I just want to knit with the thinnest yarn possible and in breathable fibers for hot weather. I've never really contemplated knitting anything but cardigans until this year and now - ho boy. The floodgates have opened. The irony is that I won't let myself start these until I finish my Vintage Susan Shaw cardigan (which is coming along nicely) which is fingering weight and likely to take me the rest of the summer. Does that stop me from planning my next 35 summer knit projects? Of course not. There are all based around yarns I have that I want to knit with and I've conveniently matched them up so I can just start knitting on a whim, lol. So what have I been planning? Other than the linen Solstice Top I already talked about 2 weeks ago?

This one was a case of loving the yarn and finding a project to use it on. I grabbed 2 skeins of Knit Picks Luminance Lace in the Meditation colorway in the sale because it was beautiful and I have no self control. (Incidentally, the Summer Yarn Sale has some fantastic deals, including Luminance for half price in certain colorways.) What to knit with 2 skeins of lace weight silk? Well Knit Picks has conveniently offered up the Diamond Leaf Shell - a lacy, light weight t-shirt that looks so breezy and comfy. The example is even knit in the same color I have, which is very convenient. So this is in my Ravelry queue to make up eventually.

Next up is the one that is most likely to actually get made this year - The Dalloway Blouse from Squid's School of Vintage Knitting. This was the July pattern and I loved it immediately. This is a Jiffy pattern from the 1920s and it's knit on size 6 needles with fingering weight yarn, so it really should be quick to make. I have a cone worth of this Bambu 7 yarn from Silk City Fibers that I picked up when I had summer fibers on the brain. I wanted to try something new and I had never knit a garment with bamboo yarn before. This is sold as a sport weight, but it's super thin so I feel like it's more fingering weight. Either way, the glory of Sydney's patterns is that you can make them up in whatever yarn you want because it is all calculated custom for you and your size and gauge, which is great. Her version in knit in wool, but I think this would be nice in the bamboo yarn. I love this persimmon colorway. Since this is a quicker project, I'm contemplating a bit harder about just casting on. We'll see.

This last one is another case of falling in love with a yarn and finding a project to use it up. This is Lotus Yarns Linen 100 in this fantastic bright green colorway. I found this on Temu and couldn't leave it alone. This is one of my favorite colors to wear, so I couldn't resist. It is definitely a lace weight though, so it threw a bit of a wrench in my plans to use it on the Solstice Top pattern. I didn't want to buy double the yarn - too expensive - so I started hunting for something else and came up with another Knit Picks design. This is the Seawaves Top, designed to be knit up in Knit Picks Voliere, which is a linen/bombyx/alpaca blend. I found this through Ravelry by searching for patterns in lace weight linen. I think this will be so light and breezy in this yarn. So you know ... one of these days ...

I'm definitely in the swing of summer makes. Will any of these happen this year? We will all have to be surprised by the answer to that later on.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining in the conversation!