Friday, August 25, 2023

FO: Hungry Snake

When my first nephew was born, I had no children and a lot of free time so I used to knit and crochet him all kinds of toys. My sister had another boy a year after my kids were born and that poor guy has hardly anything I've made him at all. So this year for his 4th birthday, I wanted to make him something he would really like that was made by his favorite aunt :)

This is the Sleepy Snake and Mischievous Mouse pattern by Anna Hrachovec of Mochimochi Land. This is another pattern I've had for years and always wanted to make up but just never took the plunge. The snake is essentially a double layered tube sock with a snake head and the construction is pretty interesting.

Once you have 2 snakes that are kissing, you shove the smaller snake inside the bigger one and then stuff the head and seam it together. I was working with stash acrylic yarn again and I ran out of the main color in the middle of the lining snake, so I switched to the blue from the mouse. The glory is that no one will ever know but me because that piece is completely hidden inside the outer snake. I used Red Heart Super Saver in Spring Green and Burnt Orange for the snake.

I deviated from the pattern for my snake and made him awake. I used embroidery floss and embroidered a chain stitch for his outer eye and then used a it of yarn in the center. I think it came out well without looking too creepy.
Next came the mouse :) This guy was so easy and I completed him in about an hour. I used I Love This Yarn in Soft Blue and Gray. Embroidering his eyes and whiskers took the longest, honestly.

The coolest part about this toy is that the snake can eat the mouse. Since the snake body is all ribbing, he's like a tube sock. You can shove the mouse down his throat to eat it.
And this gives you the tell tale lump of a snake who's just eaten. Cool, right? What little boy wouldn't love this? 
I had so much fun taking pictures of this project lol.  This was part of my nephew's birthday present this year and I'm happy to report that he loves it, which is always nice when making a toy for a kid.
My kids liked it so much they have asked for their own ever since I finished, lol. They both had fun pretending the snake was eating their hand. All in all, this was a fun project and I'm happy that my nephew has something that he knows I made for him that he can play with for a long time.

Summary:

Yarn: Red Heart Super Saver in Spring Green and Burnt Orange, I Love This Yarn in Soft Blue

Pattern: Sleeping Snake and Mischievious Mouse by Anna Hrachovec

Time: 2 weeks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining in the conversation!