Monday, September 4, 2023

FO: Fiore Skirt in Mustard Linen

When I cut out my linen Cielo Top, I cut out this skirt at the same time. I had hoped to have a complete linen outfit, and while that didn't quite work out that way, I do still love both pieces individually. 

This is the Fiore Skirt by Closet Core Patterns - another piece of the Rome collection I bought last Thanksgiving. I knew I wanted to make up View C - the button front with big pockets - and the other view with the drape front is also on my list to try in the future. I sewed up a straight size 16 based on my waist measurement since that's really the only fitted area and this worked great.
For this version, I used some heavy weight linen (7.1 oz) from Fabrics-Store.com in the Sand colorway, which is a lovely deep mustard yellow. This was in their "doggie bag" section where they sell remnant pieces at a discount, so I got it for a cheaper price, but that meant I only got the 1.5 yard cut.
My skirt is a between length as far as the pattern goes. I cut my pieces out as long as I could with the 1.5 yards of fabric I had. To squeak out the length, I used my scraps to make bias tape for the hem. My bias is pieced from smaller bits - there are probably 8 seams in my bias binding - but this is a great trick I learned from altering thrifted clothing and it saves the day all the time. I'm frequently using a limited amount of fabric, so knowing how to squeak by has been incredibly handy. Because of using bias tape for the hem, I only lost 1/2 inch of the length, and I'm pretty happy with that. Would I have liked it a smidge longer? Sure. But it's still a comfy length and covers what I need it to. And I got this out of 1/2 a yard less than the pattern calls for, so kudos to me, lol. It was touch and go while cutting out, so I'm just happy I could make it work.
I do absolutely love the pockets on this pattern - they're a fantastic size and shape. They can fit my phone easily, which is always a nice bonus in any pocket. My one and only gripe about this skirt is the pockets though, but only due to my lack of forethought. Linen tends to bag out in general, but given the shape of these pockets and the weight of the things I need to put in them at work, they bag out kind of ridiculously. I wore this skirt to work once before taking these photos and the pockets looked really saggy by the end of the day. I ironed them before taking these photos, which helped, but they still bag a bit. 
I followed the button layout for the front, and I had my usual problem of it gaping between the upper buttons. This is something I have happen in every button skirt I own, so this is just the shape of my abdomen. I've accepted it. To remedy this, I just added a snap between the top buttons and you can't even see it from the outside. 
These buttons worked out so perfectly for this skirt - they were in my stash from YEARS ago from the clearance section of a sewing shop here locally. They are solid metal 5/8 inch buttons with a kind of vine design on them. Lovely. I only had 6 in this size plus 2 more that were 3/4 inch, but thankfully i was able to just use the 6 smaller ones and not use a bigger one at the top. I just love that these buttons add just the right touch for a simple yet different skirt.
While my original outfit idea didn't work out with the Cielo top, it does work really well with the 3 shirts I made just after this (one of which is this white Gable top), which is really nice. This color goes well with a lot of things I already had in my wardrobe too. I just love a good mustard yellow. So that's my first Fiore! There will definitely be more of this skirt in the future. I wear skirts everyday, and a flowy A-line like this is my favorite shape. I've also made view B with the drape front, so stay tuned to see how that one turned out :)

Summary:

Fabric: 1.5 yards 7.1 oz Linen in the Sand colorway Fabrics-Store.com = $24.72

Pattern: Fiore Skirt by Closet Case Patterns - $12.00

Notions: Pellon SF101 fusible interfacing - $1.00, thread - $0.50, 6 buttons - $2.00

Time: 7 hours

Total Cost: $ 40.22



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining in the conversation!