Wednesday, September 6, 2023

WIP Wednesday: MKAL Progress, Alterations, and Sewing Stays

I've been plugging right along in the Playin' My Song MKAL by Sweet Georgia yarns and I've really been enjoying it. I'm almost finished with Clue 2, and now I know what the finished shawl looks like, lol. The 3rd clue was released last week and it's just the mirror of the 2nd clue but on the other side of the center. I have honestly been enjoying working on this project. The knit along is all over now, but I still want to finish this in a timely manner so I can rework my Susan Shaw cardigan and move onto my next sweater I have waiting in the wings.

Monday night, I got the odd desire to make a few simple alterations to some second hand clothes I've picked up this past month. All of these were done within just a couple of hours that night and I will be revealing their changes on the blog soon. Very happy with this night of work.
And in other news, I've decided to finally take the plunge and start sewing my regency era stays. I've been wanting to make some for about a year but the sewing and sizing have always intimidated me. Now I'm using Halloween as a deadline and I hope to have stays and a dress to wear by then. I'm making the Laughing Moon Traditional Regency Long Stays and I will make a chemise from this pattern as well.
Last night I traced my new size off from the pattern and started making a mock up. I'm sewing it in this toile fabric I have a ton of - it's some kind of decorator cotton canvas type stuff. I just couldn't get over the opportunity to make a toile toile! Hahahaha sewing humor is the best.
Since this is a mock up, I have not been super careful with the stitching, but I'm still pretty impressed with what I've been able to produce. I've sewn all the front gussets and have this back piece completely top stitched and ready for cording and bones. I used my machine to stitch the eyelets since this is just a trial run and I'm seriously impressed by how easy they were to sew. I'll seriously have to incorporate some into a future clothing project lol. But even as technically "difficult" as this project is, I've been having a lot of fun with the actual sewing. I have a suspicion that I will need to extend the waist, but I'm basically doing a quick and dirty make up with this version to try the fit as well as the construction. I'm very excited for this one :)

Do you have any crazy new projects going? Please share!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining in the conversation!