Monday, December 11, 2023

FO: Starry, Starry Skirt

We all need a quick win sometimes, don't we? I've had this Starry Night printed cotton canvas since the summer and I was putting off sewing it up because I am still trying to lose a bit more weight, but after having a particularly bad time in October/November and I just wanted something that was quick to make and guaranteed to be a successful project. So I decided to just grab this fabric and make it up and I can just take it in later if need be :)
This is my beloved Hollyburn Skirt from Sewaholic. I'm not sure how many of these I've made at this point, but a skirt where the only place you have to make sure fits is at the waistband is a major winner in my book. Also I adore these pockets. 
This fabric is a cotton canvas print from when Joann had a canvas sale for $5 a yard in July (I think). I ordered 3 yards, but being an online store they sent me a 2 yard cut and a 1 yard cut :/ This meant that I could barely fit my skirt pieces and I could not lay them out in any way but how I did, which meant that I did not get a single moon on my skirt, just star swirls. I made sure that a moon was on the center of my waistband, but that area isn't wide enough to show it off, which was pretty disappointing. After I finished making the skirt itself, I decided to fussy cut the only moon on the remaining 1 yard piece and us a satin stitch to appliqué it to the bottom left of the skirt. The pattern is busy enough that you honestly don't notice this piece is added unless I point it out, but I still get to see a moon when I wear it, so I'm happy.
The satin stitch is a smidge wavy no matter what I do with my iron, but like I say - you really don't notice it due to the busy fabric. I like the placement of it - low enough for me to see but in the middle enough to blend in well. 
The back is great, as always. I did my usual lapped zipper and I think it just looks so classy. Why did we ever get away from doing it this way? They are so easy and look so nice.
As usual, I used a contrasting but coordinating colored zipper from my stash. This is called Temple Gold and it is a quintessential color of the 70s. I have a bunch of these and I use them for muslins because the color never seems to go with my makes, but this time it was spot on for the colors in the starts. I love this detail even if no one gets to appreciate it but me.
So that was my quick and pleasing make for November :) I've been wearing it often ever since and it looks great with my favorite Swedish Hasbeens yellow sandals, which is always a plus. Gotta love a quick and useful project!

Summary:

Fabric: 3 yards of Painterly Moonlight Cotton Canvas from Joann - $16.02

Pattern: Hollyburn Skirt by Sewaholic Patterns

Notions: Zipper - $0.10, Thread - $0.50

Time: 3 Hours

Total Cost: $ 16.62

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining in the conversation!