Tuesday, April 9, 2024

Sew Frugal: Miranda Gathered (?) Tee

My first Sew Frugal project turned out to be a bit of a disappointment, but I wanted to still post about it here for others that look into this pattern. I didn't really find much online about this pattern before I used it, so I know a review can be helpful :) 
If you want the full shebang - head over to my YouTube channel for the full shebang. This is a written review of the full info there.
I discovered the Miranda Gathered Detail Tee pattern by Tiana's Closet and I loved the example photo. I love that it's a basic t-shirt with a little something extra in the gathers at the yoke, so I decided to give it a try. I grabbed a blue cotton interlock from my stash that I had thrifted so I knew it wouldn't be the end of the world if it didn't turn out, and it's a good thing I did. I think you can notice a few differences in my version already - most notably being that mine has almost no gathering to speak of whatsoever. The entire reason I wanted to make this pattern was for the gathers, so I was pretty bummed to have it turn out like this. The directions tell you to sew a gathering stitch across the yoke like on the front, but the seam allowance is so small I couldn't do my usual 2 lines of gathering stitches, so just one row made for less even gathers. In the end, the gathering stitches did nothing at all anyway, so I compared the two pattern pieces and the yoke piece is wider than the body, but only by about 2 inches. Also, I really like the sweetheart shape to the yoke on the example photo, but as you can see on my photo above - that was almost non-existent. I'm not sure how this happened either except that it must not be drafted in like the photo shows. The instructions on this are sparse to say the least and they just tell you to top stitch the seam allowance down for the yoke, but the more I look at the pattern photo, the more convince I am that she used a top stitches band on top of that area.  
The back is 3 pieces that get assembled first, which feels slightly unnecessary if I'm honest. You do get a nice fit at the lower back if you have a sway back like me, but personally it's not a big enough deal for me on a t-shirt to justify the extra work there. The pattern photo also shows a band on the yoke seam, which I do not have. I like that it sits flatter though, so I would probably do this part the same way.
The sleeves were just standard and simple. No issues there to report. If you have never sewn a t-shirt before, these instructions will not help much, but I've sewn a fair few in my time so it was no problem. This is also an extremely small hem because I found the shirt a bit short as it was drafted, so next time I would definitely make it an inch longer there.
In the end, I'm left with a ... perfectly adequate plain blue t-shirt. I do want to do a little work to this pattern and see if I can get something similar to the example, but with how it is drafted it just did not happen. It's really a shame, but I feel like this is a case of "you get what you pay for". If this had been a paid for pattern, I would have been very upset with the outcome I achieved. Since it was free, I'm willing to put in a little work, but it just didn't end up being what I felt was a good Sew Frugal entry. After I let this pattern sit and think about what it's done for a while, I will try again. 

Summary:

Fabric: 1.25 yards of blue interlock - $1.00

Pattern: Miranda Gathered Detail Tee by Tiana's Closet - Free

Notions: Thread - Free

Time: 3 hours

Total Cost: $ 1.00

2 comments:

  1. I love your blog! So glad you are back to making and posting about your choices. Like you, I like this pattern for exactly what you mentioned. I agree that the seam above the bust has a band sewn over it. Could the top piece in the original photo actually be a woven fabric? That might explain the difference in gathering. Pleasekeep sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caro! Thanks so much for your comment :) The pattern is definitely all for a stretch knit. I did wonder if maybe mine had too much stretch? I'm not sure because it doesn't list a stretch percentage and this isa reasonably stable cotton interlock. It's a cute enough design that I want to try it again soon, and I will definitely post about it when I do.

      Delete

Thanks for joining in the conversation!