Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Book Review: The Princess Bride by William Goldman

I found myself without a book to read and a few hours to kill, so I decided to go for something a little familiar. I grew up watching The Princess Bride and loving the quirky fairy tale, but I had never read the book it came from. Technically speaking, I still haven't, lol, but it was a fun read nonetheless.

The Princess Bride by William Goldman is actually an abridgment of the S. Morgenstern epic tale. Goldman injects his own opinions in several places, and to be honest it was basically like reading the movie script. There are a few things that differ from the film, but on a whole the sarcastic language and jokes are the same, and the book has the same overall feel.

My favorite part is still Miracle Max, and I love that he says that true love is the greatest thing in the world ... except cough drops. I  also love the final line of the story (in Goldman's words):
"Life isn't fair, it's just more fair than death, that's all."
I enjoyed every minute of reading this, and I would recommend it to anyone wanting a fun story to escape for a short time and laugh a bit. I give this book 4 out of 5 stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining in the conversation!