Monday, September 18, 2023

FO: Purple Roses Gable Top

 

After the success of my Prickly Gable Top, I immediately and excitedly cut out  more. Technically the one coming up next was cut out first, but this one was finished first, so it gets first billing lol. While thrifting about a week before making this top, I was at the cashier buying some things and noticed a bucket tucked under a table near the front that said Fabric $4 Per Bag. I always must look in these bins, but I really only found this interlock knit. Since I was buying a bunch of other things, the woman just let me have the fabric for free, lol. It was a 2 yard cut, 60 inches wide. It's definitely mostly cotton, but there's probably something else blended in there (I just try not to think about it now that I've been trying to change to natural fibers, lol). 

This fabric is really cute, but it is the type of print that could easily go wrong if you're not careful with the finished garment style. I thought that a Gable Top was the perfect combo, and I still think I was right :) I made the size 16 and narrowed the shoulder by 3/4 inch like my previous version. This knit isn't as tight of a stretch as the cactus print, so it came out with a looser fit that is very comfy while still looking fitted.

For this version, I decided to secure the shoulders on both seam allowances, not just one like the instructions call for. I used a pretty printed ribbon form my stash for the shoulders as well as the back "tag" so I can make sure I get it on right. I cut this one shorter, but I still made a 1 inch hem.

I particularly love the neckline on this version. It's just the right height and it holds its shape smoothly a bit more than the other 2 I've made. The shoulders are still that smidge too wide, so I need to go a full 1 inch narrower next time. Not bad though. I also narrowed the arms a bit on this one so they are more fitted like the body and I like how they came out.

I really love the print of this shirt, and the little yellow flowers make it match my mustard linen Fiore skirt perfectly. It's made for a very cute outfit that I continually reach for.
So this was a pretty quick and simple make, but a great wardrobe staple for me. It looks cute but not childish - very much me, lol. I have about a yard of this left that I want to use to make something for my girls to match me. How cute would we all be?!

Summary:

Fabric: 1 yard purple floral print jersey - Free

Pattern: Gable Top by Jennifer Lauren Handmade 

Notions: ribbon, thread - Free

Time: 2 hours

Total Cost: Free

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining in the conversation!