Monday, November 27, 2023

FO: Black Fiore Skirt

 

Shortly after finishing my first wrap style Fiore skirt, I had the idea of how nice it would look in some black linen I had on hand. The idea ruminated for a while until a few days before my 20th Highschool Reunion and I thought how nice it would be to wear that. I sewed this over just a few nights and I'm very glad I did :)
So this is the Fiore Skirt by Closet Core Patterns. I used some beautiful medium weight black linen from Fabrics-Store.com - this fabric has their signature finish and I have to say it's my favorite from them. I've used this in white and black and I've washed and worn the items several times and it's just a lovely flow to this fabric. It's heavy enough to not see through but light enough to drape and flow beautifully. It's also extremely comfortable - both soft and breezy. Love it. 
This version is a wrap skirt that is just held on with 2 buttons at the waist. The wrap covers the entire front so I don't have any fear of drafts and flashing things. 
The single pocket is the only thing I'm on the fence about. It's not that I don't like it - this pocket is huge and I can put heavy things in it without any distortion to the skirt outside, which I love. The only hard thing is getting used to having just one pocket and it being on the left side. I tend to favor the right pocket most of the time, so it takes extra brain power to not go for the right out of habit when I wear this skirt.
This lighter weight linen definitely lends itself better to the drape front than the heavy weight linen I used the first time. The other one is fine, but the drape always seems to want to pull away from the skirt in that version I think because the edge is so thick with the interfacing and a facing and whatnot. This one hugs a bit better, which I like. I used an orphan vintage black button from my stash on the outside and I used a clear button on the inside since no one would see it and it sits very flat. Things I've learned since the last skirt.
And this was my completed outfit from my High School Reunion. I wore this skirt with my White Gable Top and this amazing silk butterfly wing printed jacket I got at a thrift store. It's Chicos brand and I have no idea if it's new or vintage - it could be 90s judging by the tag, but I'm not sure. It's a size small, but it fits me wonderfully, so I guess it was intended to have a looser fit. While I was at the reunion, a girl came up to me and said, "Well clearly you are doing very well for yourself. You look very put together," and seriously that made all this effort worthwhile, lol. It's funny that we can still fool those around us by dressing well. I did love this outfit and I felt great in it. I love having this skirt in my wardrobe as it's such a nice basic with a little something special about it. 

Summary:

Fabric: 2 yards of 5.3 oz black linen (signature finish) from Fabrics-Store.com = $ 25.38

Pattern: Fiore Skirt by Closet Core Patterns

Notions: 2 buttons - Free, black thread - $ 1.00

Time: 5 Hours

Total Cost: $ 26.38

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining in the conversation!