Tuesday, December 26, 2023

Top of '23: Hits!

 

I always loved doing the "Top 5 of ___" yearly wrap ups back in the day, so I decided to start one again for myself. This time though, I had a very hard time sticking to 5 in each category, so I'm just calling it "Top of '23". As ever, let's start out with the best of the best! My hits of the year. Considering I only started sewing clothes again in July, I'm really pleased with the bulk of what I made. These are the clear winners though.

  • Gable Tops - It almost feels like cheating to make this shirt at this point. I made 5 wearable ones just since July, lol. The true workhorse here is definitely my White Gable Top simply because a white shirt goes with everything, but I really do love my Purple Roses version as well and I wear that all the time too. The cactus one is adorable and does get some wear (also that fabric is very soft), and I wore my witchy one probably 4 times during October, which I count as good. This has now become my go-to t-shirt pattern and when I see knit fabric I immediately envision it as this pattern. There will definitely be many more of these next year, I can promise that
  • Mustard Fiore - I really loved the Fiore pattern in general, but the winner is certainly my mustard version. The black and linen version are great, but I made them a bit more snug at the waist so they aren't comfy for all times if you know what I mean. It's an easy change to move the buttons a tiny bit, but I like how snatched they make my waist when I want them to, lol. Anyway this mustard version is just a smidge looser and therefor very comfy while still looking put together. The only qualm with this is that the pockets definitely droop, but I try to avoid putting things in them and then I look good, lol. This fabric and pattern combo was just top notch and I will certainly make more of this version in the future.
  • Honeybee Cardigan - this probably my favorite sweater I've ever knit. It was a hard won victory, but now that it is done I just love everything about this sweater. It fits perfectly - so much so that I use this length when I'm adjusting other patterns. The yarn is beautiful and this color is just exactly what I want most of the time. The lace design is adorable with the bees and also helps keep this a light sweater to wear, which is perfect for Florida. Just all in all a fantastic make. I really just need to sew more items to wear with this so I can wear it more.
  • Hollyburn Skirts - This pattern is an old standby and I still love it. I can always count on a Hollyburn to be a quick win if I've lost my sew-jo or have been dealing with a challenging project. Any bottom weight fabric I find with a cool print and I can afford 3 yards is mentally earmarked for this pattern. I love both versions I made this year (On Point and Starry Starry) and wear them regularly.
  • Altered Old Navy Top - This was the surprise win and my favorite alteration of the year. Does hemming something count as an alteration? lol Almost feels like cheating, you know? But this dress-turned-shirt is a lovely weight of fabric and looks very cute with my natural linen Fiore along with all my solid colored skirts. Super light and comfy, loose over the tummy without looking boxy. Love it.
  • Regency Corset - This one makes the list simply because I made a freaking corset and it worked out! This was easily my most involved project of the year and I don't regret it at all. I was actually very surprised at how much I enjoyed the sewing process on this, and I have to admit that I love how it makes me look. It's quite the experience to put on a corset and actually look like the historical silhouettes we've seen in books and movies. Maybe that sounds silly, but going from a modern body shape to a historical one for the first time is a pretty magical experience. I didn't finish sewing the rest of my Regency outfit yet, but it's definitely on the list for next year. I started sewing this thinking it was a necessary means to an end, but now I'm excited to sew another corset from another era. I'm even toying with making one to try for daily wear. Maybe 2024 will be the year of the corset? We will see.
Tomorrow I'll share the not so great makes of the year and why :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining in the conversation!